Due late March, 2009. Still surprised.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

thanks ted

Talking to a client recently and I realized I really am annoyed that health care doesn't follow you from job to job. We live in a very expensive state and just recently signed onto the state health plan. It won't cover the chiro. but we're keeping the pediatrician and doctor so that's fine by me. As a self-employed family, we were paying something like $1800 a month for health insurance, which would have driven us into debt. Fortunately, we are able to earn a good living and we have savings and we're not carrying a mortgage. There are huge advantages to waiting to be a grownup and then having a family. My heart goes out to younger moms and dads who don't have the advantage of staying home with a child as long as they wish. My DH and I both work out of our house and we are exceedingly blessed to share the childcare. We live very frugally, but very well even if our son is not indulged in his whims for "expensive plastic" as often as he'd like. We have books in every room and every night our son is read to aloud for a half hour. And during the day he's read aloud to as well. So it's hours and hours of that, and playing and making stuff. I make a lot of art out of recycled materials and am selling enough to call it a remunerative hobby. My main occupation is writing and I have a book coming out next year. For which I'll be paid, oh hell, probably in 2012.
But here's the thing. Ted Kennedy totally "got" our situation and he really did fight for everyone who needed an advocate. I met him once -- fleetingly, and shook his hand. He was a very big guy with radiating charisma, surrounded by a scrum of younger aides. I'm sorry he's gone. He may not have been personally eloquent all the time but his heart was always in the right place where the public was concerned.

8 comments:

2012New said...

Ted Kennedy suffered the same horrible disease that a friend's son had and lost his life to it. He was 8 years old. Maybe for Ted's legacy, there will be a fund created to find a cure for this horrible, horrible disease.

On another note, a little bitter-sweet for me, my DD started Kindergarten today. I still can't believe it.

2012New said...

isabelleSophronia - AF arrived as scheduled today...so frustrated. I knew she was on her way, I was just in denial. Had to look at your baby girl again to tell myself that it can happen...why do I keep trying? I have text book cycles every 28 days, but I guess it is those X$#$ old eggs!!!

isabelleSophronia said...

are you taking vitex? or anything else?

2012New said...

Not as often as I should. My gut feeling is that it is a hormonal issue and that I am just too old. My cycles are much lighter now as compared to when I got pregnant with my daughter. My thought is that it is either an issue with implantation or flat out fertilization - and old eggs. I had no interest in returning to the medical world for help. Never worked and cannot go through the emotional roller-coaster again.

I tried changing things in my diet (reduce coffee intake, limit wine, remove processed foods, etc.) - didn't see any changes in my body.

And here I go again this month, with hope that it can happen...am I crazy to even try?

BTW, my medicine cabinet is full of all the vitamins that I thought would help...gave up taking all of them. If you think of something else that might help...I am sure I probably already have it!

isabelleSophronia said...

As I look back it was the vitex and everyone's cycles get lighter over time. The irony for me is that I've had 2 cycles since V. and I'm bleeding for 4plus days w/about 5 days of EWCM in between. So my body wants to be pregnant again.

When I got pregnant I was drinking lots of espresso and eating chocolate and ice cream. It took 3 plus months to notice a chance w/CM on the vitex (just straight Vitex not a combo) and I think I conc'd within 8 months, or maybe 6 of starting. I just remember doing a bottle of liquid, running out, getting a bottle of tablets, doing those, getting more liquid, doing that, and then getting another bottle of tablets and then pregnant. I was 2 months shy of 48 when I conc'd my daughter. I thought I was really really really really old then....Now, not so much...

2012New said...

liquid Vitex? I thought it only came in pill form

Kim said...

to newone:

I got pregnant after the lightest period I ever had in my life. It only lasted for 2 1/2 days.

I do wish you all the best. I did get a fertility yoga CD which I managed to get through a few times, and must say, I honestly can't say if it helped or not, but it sure made me feel a lot better.

I continue to wish you all the best!

isabelleSophronia said...

new one
I just found a St. Martin de Porres medal. It was in my "god box," the place where I keep scraps of paper with prayers, etc. I was looking thru and there were 5 separate scraps wishing for a 2nd pregnancy that dated back to 2002. I have cleared out box for new prayers....The medal was sitting in there, it is yours if you want it. Send address to isabellesophronia@gmail.com and I'll stick in the mail...