Due late March, 2009. Still surprised.

Friday, June 26, 2009

After

Well, my OB/Gyn found lots of HPV cells on the cervix and a mosaic pattern, which is definitely precancerous there. They'll call in a week w/a biopsy but she said I really have nothing to worry about. This, I don't get. The next steps are: if it's precancerous, they'll do a LEEP and take it out. If it's not, I have PAP tests every 6 months. No matter what, I'm going in more often for Pap tests. It's depressing especially since I read in the NYT that Farrah's rare anal cancer has HPV connections. Anyone out there test positive for HPV?

Given that I've been intimate with just two men since 1992, it's depressing. My former boyfriend had one other girlfriend before me, and my husband was married before (to someone who definitely wasn't the multiple partners type), so who knows where this comes from. I really hate this though and would like to feel as reassured as my Dr. says I should.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like this entry at all. You go back, turn around, fix it and come back.

Also? I heart you and hope for this to go away!

2012New said...

This happened to me. I had the situation where I had to go for pap tests every 6 months. I did this for several years. Then it was moved to once a year, after all the tests came back clear. I've actually have let a couple years go by in the past without a test, then have a pap with no issues.

We are talking about 20 years of normal pap tests. When was the last time you had a pap test before your pregnancy?

And Farrah, for some reason I thought she was a smoker...and I believe it is something like 4 times higher for smokers to develop the type of cancer she had...I don't know for sure, but I get the feeling you are not a smoker.

isabelleSophronia said...

I don't like this entry either. I asked my doctor, "Is this going to turn into a movie of the week" and she laughed. I just hate that it's an opportunistic thing: a virus that's lodged. I had my last pap in 2004 (whoops, got busy), but they haven't tested for this virus until very recently. All other tests have been fine...